Sunday, May 10, 2009

Moms

It's Mother's Day again and I thought it would be a good idea to talk about our moms. :-) They usually get little to no praise at all. Aren't appreciated for everything they do. And rarely thanked. I've realized more and more as the years go on just how much our moms did for us.




This is one of the only pictures I have of Pete as a baby. And, I'm so glad I have it. Pete was the first boy in his family and from the stories I've heard, he was a wonderful, sweet little guy. I asked him if he could tell me one special story about his mom and this is what he told me..

"She got up early every morning to make us something special to eat. Most days it was cinnamon toast that we would eat by the dozens, just leaving the crusts behind that she would feed to the birds, who waited outside to eat them. She would get up early to get us all ready, make us that good breakfast, and take us to school. I love you, mom."

Pete's a man of few words, but his love for his mom is evident. :-) She's a really special lady for sure! I've known Sue for over 15 yrs now and she is definitely a second mom to me now. I'm so thankful that I have a mother-in-law that is so fantastic! She and I always have a fun time together, whether it be shopping (which we both LOVE to do), garage saling (does that count as shopping?), or just chatting away. She's also taught me a lot about gardening and decorating. Always telling me new ideas or things she's seen or tried. Love it! She's so great and I love that she loves my kids so much. She's always been willing to stop whatever she's doing in her life to come to my house when we've needed her and that means so much to know that she's there for us. Can't begin to tell you over the years how many phone calls she's gotten to come out to help me with the kids when Pete's been gone or I've been sick or something. Or we just needed a babysitter for an event and she's been there. She never complains and comes and helps out without a second thought. We love you and thank you for all that you've done for us! :-)



As for my mom, she's like I am. Always TAKING the pictures and rarely IN them. So, the only picture I have here at my house is the one above and her head's cut off!! Sorry. But, I never have given her a lot of credit for what she did for me as a little girl. The teenage years got in the way of that somehow. But, as an adult and as a mom, I realize that it was just my attitude that got in the way a lot of the times and I'm very thankful that she and I have a great relationship now. She and I talk on the phone nearly every day - with ME doing most of the talking, of course. ;-) She lets me vent or tell funny stories or whatever. And, I'm so glad it's like that now. As a little girl she was always very active in what I did. She was my room mom at school for many, many years. Made treats for all the class parties and crafts as well. She encouraged my art and my singing and went to every performance and display I had. She was at every softball game, every church function (and I know it wasn't just because she was the pastor's wife). She was, just simply, involved. And now, knowing now how many parents AREN'T involved, I realize how lucky I was to have a mom who cared and was there. Even it was for a small thing. I also remember her showing me important things that I didn't think mattered then, but TOTALLY matter now. How to make a bed correctly, how to iron clothes, how to do laundry, and how to cook. Things that when you're 8 or 9 yrs old, you could care less about knowing, but I now use those things every day in my own life. So, mom, I know I haven't always been a easy person to get along with. I know that I rarely tell you or show you how I feel, but I do want you to know that I love you very much and am very glad that you're my mom.
So, I say to you both...... HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY!!

No comments: