OK - first of all, I have no idea why this stupid picture keeps uploading sideways, but I can't get it to lay the right way, so just cock your head to the right to look at it. Thought I'd give an update on our continuing skunk saga. Most of my posts on the matter have been on Facebook, so if you follow Facebook, then you probably know all about the drama. Last Tues morning (as I posted earlier) we found a skunk hole had been dug. I proceeded to cover the holes with lots of small paver bricks and it actually succeeded in keeping her out for a couple of nights. But, she finally figured out how to move enough of the pavers to get back in the hole. So, Pete covered the hole with a rock. That kept her out another night, but there was digging around it. Instead of waiting for another hole to be dug and to make our garden not look stupid by covering it with random piles of pavers and a big rock, we went to the store on Sat and bought some stuff called "Critter Ridder" which is a cayenne pepper-type stuff that is supposed to repell skunks. Then we buried, under our weed barrier, some large rectangular pavers. This wasn't messed with on Sat night, but when we woke up this morning, we saw that she had tried to dig back in, only to be stopped by our hidden weapon. :-) Yay!! As you can see in the picture above, there are dig marks and she pulled up some of the weed barrier in the process, but no new holes! I'm guessing she has babies in her nest down there which means she's going to be persistant about getting back to them, but right now we have the upper hand and it feels great!! Take that, skunk! We're so awesome! Well, I should say Pete, my engineering husband, is so awesome. He's the one that came up with the ingenious plan. I just helped him install our new secret paver barricade. It's good to have a husband with an engineer's brain. He comes up with great strategies. :-)
Monday, May 4, 2009
Skunk Update - '09 version
OK - first of all, I have no idea why this stupid picture keeps uploading sideways, but I can't get it to lay the right way, so just cock your head to the right to look at it. Thought I'd give an update on our continuing skunk saga. Most of my posts on the matter have been on Facebook, so if you follow Facebook, then you probably know all about the drama. Last Tues morning (as I posted earlier) we found a skunk hole had been dug. I proceeded to cover the holes with lots of small paver bricks and it actually succeeded in keeping her out for a couple of nights. But, she finally figured out how to move enough of the pavers to get back in the hole. So, Pete covered the hole with a rock. That kept her out another night, but there was digging around it. Instead of waiting for another hole to be dug and to make our garden not look stupid by covering it with random piles of pavers and a big rock, we went to the store on Sat and bought some stuff called "Critter Ridder" which is a cayenne pepper-type stuff that is supposed to repell skunks. Then we buried, under our weed barrier, some large rectangular pavers. This wasn't messed with on Sat night, but when we woke up this morning, we saw that she had tried to dig back in, only to be stopped by our hidden weapon. :-) Yay!! As you can see in the picture above, there are dig marks and she pulled up some of the weed barrier in the process, but no new holes! I'm guessing she has babies in her nest down there which means she's going to be persistant about getting back to them, but right now we have the upper hand and it feels great!! Take that, skunk! We're so awesome! Well, I should say Pete, my engineering husband, is so awesome. He's the one that came up with the ingenious plan. I just helped him install our new secret paver barricade. It's good to have a husband with an engineer's brain. He comes up with great strategies. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
If there were babies down there, you'll know. It will stink. So sorry about you living in Skunkville. We have them here as well, and I've been away and didn't look in my mulch bed to see if there were any signs of the critters. I'll look tomorrow. I pray we don't have them.
I pray you don't either. They are a giant pain in the butt!!!!!
Post a Comment